Thursday, November 19, 2015

Port-a-Cath

Hi Jessica's Journey Supporters!!! Well it's 12:02 am(...that's that whole sleep thing I was talking about) Tomorrow I have to be in Day Surgery at 6am...why? Good Question.

I have very small veins. No matter how hydrated I was, I was always a VERY hard stick. So in 2009 when I began a new IV (intravenous) treatment that I would have to do monthly, the decision was made for me to get a port.

What is a port? Google says it is a central venous catheter is a tube that goes into a vein in your chest and ends at your heart. Sometimes this type of catheter is attached to a device called a port that will be under your skin. The port and catheter are put in place in a minor surgery. The catheter helps carry nutrients and medicine into your body.

I had the port implanted surgically, so I could easily recieve my medicine. Great idea you would think!? Not really, because the my port gets clotted often. There are two way you can unclog the port: 1. Cathflo- 
Cathflo binds to fibrin in the thrombus, converting entrapped plasminogen to plasmin, helping to break down existing thrombotic occlusions. 2. Catheterization- This is a surgercal procedure, where the doctor's go in through your groin and unclog the clot. The procedure is done in outpatient surgery and they give you medicine to twilight you.


Well I'm going through the Catheterization procedure tomorrow for the um ...I've lost count of how many times I've done this. I know the surgical techs by name and voice. LOL I've also been watching a life time movie while blogging so now it's 1:18am. I am really going attempt to sleep! Well make sure you add me in your prayers tomorrow morning! Good Night!




No comments:

Post a Comment